Avoriaz

avoriaz-annees-60-5492-1320
The name « Avoriaz » comes from “Evorée”. Before it became an internationally renowned ski resort, Avoriaz was simply part of Morzine’s pastures.
Originally, the idea to create the resort came from “Morzinois” Jean Vuarnet (Olympic champion in Squaw Valley).
The project was started in the 60s and the resort opened in 1966. It was, and still is, a place where skiing comes first with no cars allowed, and where original buildings emerge from the ground to create the village.
Avoriaz’s ski area is directly accessible from Morzine via the Prodains gondola, and as its third area, increases Morzine’s tourism capacity (in addition to Pleney & Nyon). 
Source: Histoire et Patrimoine Association, Morzine
Heritage Tour every Thursday at 10am during high season
 

 
Article 1 : The Village Square
Article 2: Bézière
Article 3: The Mills
Article 4: L’Hôtel des Alpes
Article 5: Le Clos
Article 6: Maison de la Poste
Article 7: The Old Bridge (Le Vieux Pont)
Article 8: The River Dranse
Article 9: Le Plan neighbourhood
Article 10: The Old Cable-Car
Article 11: The Old Villages
Article 12 : Avoriaz
Article 13: The Avoriaz Cable-Car
Article 14: The Udrezants Neighbourhood
Article 15: The Nyon Gondola
Article 16: Les Nants Village
Article 17: The Manor House
Article 18: Le Vieux Bourg
Article 19: The Pleney Cable-car
Article 20: Le Grand Hôtel
Article 21: Sawmill at “Le Plan”
Article 22: The Slate Mines
Article 23: Combe à Zore
Article 24: The two water fountains
Article 25: Le Pied de la Plagne